Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I ... er, my mom gets crafty: Resurrection Eggs!

UPDATE: If you recently tried to download this kit and couldn't, it's because Keep&Share, the site hosting it, decided to delete my account, I guess. So now it's in a Google Drive and you should be able to access it again. So sorry for the inconvenience!




Spring is in the air! If you live in Arizona, you know exactly how gorgeous it is right now. Everything is blooming and the temperature is PERFECT! Aside from the fact I suffer from allergies, I loooooove this time of year!

Since Easter is on the horizon (the day after my birthday, I might add), it's time to put together your own Resurrection Eggs lesson! My mom originally made one for our family when I was a teenager, and a few years ago, she went ahead and made me my own. How nice, right?!

I loved when we would have this lesson for Family Home Evening -- yes, even as a teenager. Basically, it involves opening numbered eggs in sequential order, finding a "prize" inside and reading the accompanying scripture about Jesus' final days and resurrection. I mean, what's not to love?

Anyway, these are great because they are so versatile. Do you adore countdowns? Start opening them one at a time,12 days before Easter, and open the last one on Easter day. Do you hate countdowns? Give each family member an egg or two (or three, if you're like us) and take turns opening and reading them in order. Perfect for FHE or a nice Sunday activity. Or, perhaps you teach a children's or youth class at church -- bring this with you and use it for the Easter Sunday lesson! (Beware -- it could be a choking hazard for toddlers and 11-year-old boys.)

The best part about this "craft" (besides the fact it teaches of the glorious resurrection of Jesus Christ) is that it's not really a craft at all but merely a compilation of objects. So even if you're crafty-challenged like me, you can still put this together no problem. If you've ever packed a lunch, kept a rock collection or eaten at a buffet, this craft is for you!

What you need:

12 plastic Easter eggs
A container of some kind (basket, bucket, Wal-Mart bag -- hey, I don't judge!)
Downloadable scripture print-out
An assortment of small trinkets (to be explained momentarily)
A Sharpie

1. Take your Sharpie and start numbering the bottoms of your eggs, 1 through 12. Enlist the help of your preschooler if desired -- it's THAT easy.

2. Follow this link to open a PDF file of the scripture print-out. Print the document and cut the numbered scriptures into strips. Feel free to print them on colored paper, add stickers, bedazzle them, whatever. It's your "craft" -- go to town!

*Please let me know if you are having trouble with this part of the "craft" so I can better accommodate you. The downloading and printing, not the bedazzling.)

3. Fold each slip and insert them into the appropriate eggs along with the following trinkets:

Egg #1: sacrament cup (just get one at church; no biggie)
Egg #2: three dimes
Egg #3: small piece of twine or rope (see above picture)
Egg #4: piece of soap (cut a small chunk off a regular bar)
Egg #5: small square of red fabric
Egg #6: nail (the kind for hanging pictures, seen above, works perfectly)
Egg #7: a die (singular of dice -- I didn't know that until I was in high school, no worries)
Egg #8: small baggie of dirt or gravel
Egg #9: small square of white fabric
Egg #10: a stone
Egg #11: nothing (it's empty, like the tomb was empty when Jesus was risen)
Egg #12: small picture of Jesus

4. Put all the eggs into your basket/bucket/Wal-Mart bag.

And there you have it -- a fun, spiritual, educational lesson you can enjoy forevermore!

Now, HOP to it! (Get it? "HOP?" Like the Easter bunny ... ?)

28 comments:

  1. Oh my, thank you Jenna! ;) Gonna use this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hey! We're doing this in our RS for a mini class. Super easy, super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I'm totally doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had one of these growing up. It was always a special FHE around Easter when we did this lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this, Jenna! Finished my little set this morning and can't wait to do the lesson for FHE on Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what I have been looking for Jenna! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend uses an egg carton( after she used the real eggs of course). I am sure you can find plastic cartons as well. It works well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend uses an egg carton( after she used the real eggs of course). I am sure you can find plastic cartons as well. It works well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exactly the same as we use in our family. I've been doing it since I was a little girl and now we are starting the tradition with our kids. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Help! Can't get to the link to print the verses??? I really wan to do this for my YW lesson... what can I do?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The link to the PDF no longer works. Any chance you can email or repost? Thank you! - Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also wondering if I could get a copy of the PDF since the link is broken. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The link to this pdf doesn't work...is there a way I could get it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the best version I've seen so far and I love it! By the way...I can't seem to view the PDF file? Is there any way I could get it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could I get the PDF too? katesue@mac.com Thanks! I plan to use it next week for an Activity Day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I fixed the link so it should work now. Apologies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you soooo much for this post! I have my eggs ready for Sunday's Young Women's class. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. FYI: The JST for scarlet robe is purple NOT red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your clarification, but not all my readers are LDS. Thank you!

      Delete
  20. I can't get the link to work! Keeps giving me an error.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tyler,

      I checked the link and it pulled up the document just fine. I went in and made sure it was public and everything. Try this? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xifLgdwdyzdWNVaWhvTm5lcTQ/view?usp=sharing

      Delete

I like feedback almost as much as I like food.